Monday, July 15, 2013

Democrat / Cameron / Lincoln / Bross Climb

Having recently finished training for a half marathon, I was ready to go climb a 14er or four.  I have never done the Democrat / Cameron / Lincoln / Bross (known as the "Decalibron") loop before, and since this was a good opportunity to climb four 14ers in one shot, I headed down to Fairplay to give it a try.

I've never been a camper, so camping at the trailhead the night before wasn't really an option for me.  Instead, I stayed the previous night in a hotel in Fairplay.  I had hoped to get to bed early and get some good sleep for an early start the next day, however two things prevented that.  First, there was a women's biker rally going on in Fairplay that night, and second, the walls in the hotel were mighty thin.  So, four hours of sleep it would have to be.

I arrived at the trailhead which was near Alma and was on the trail by 5:45 Sunday morning.  Maybe a dozen or so campsites, and a handful of people began hiking the same time I did.  Temp was in the lower 40s, very clear and very calm winds...a perfect day to hike.


The loops starts in the lower left corner of this map, heads up and to the left to hit Mt. Democrat, backtracks slightly across a saddle over Mt. Cameraon and then a little further up Mt. Lincoln.  It backtracks slightly again and cuts under Mt. Cameron across another saddle up towards Mt. Bross, then comes down the other side of Bross and back to the Kite Lake trailhead.



These two pictures are looking back across the valley to the trailhead.  Kite Lake is in the first picture, and the foreground slope to the right in the second picture is the start up the side of Mt. Democrat.  Democrat was fairly steep and the trail was very rocky.  The rocks were big enough that they didn't slide when you stepped on them but not huge boulders generally.  The picture below gives a little idea.


The summit of Democrat appears to be at the top of the steep slope, as shown in this picture, but when you get to that point....

You see the REAL Mt. Democrat still up ahead in the distance.  There was this one snow field I had to get across, which was maybe 50 feet with a heavily worn trail through it, so it wasn't a problem.


This was the top of Democrat.  I think it took me about two hours to get to the top of it, and it was a bit more difficult than I had expected it to be.  I don't think too many people had been up there before me that day, as I only passed maybe a half dozen people coming back.  There were maybe a dozen people on the summit when I left a few minutes later.

The next peak, Mt. Cameron, is a 14er but isn't always considered a true 14er because of its proximity to other peaks.  There are "rules" for purists that state peaks must have a certain distance and/or elevation change between them to "count".  As I am not a purist by any stretch, it still counts for me. :)

I had to climb back down the steep slope of Mt. Democrat, and I was very glad to be coming down as I saw the strained faces of many other who were coming up.  Eventually I was in the saddle between Democrat and Cameron, which was marked by a small abandoned mine building (these buildings were EVERYWHERE on this hike).



I didn't get a picture of me on Cameron, as it was just a large, open, flat area on the way to Mt. Lincoln.


It was interesting to see how the summits of Cameron and Bross almost looked lunar.  They were topped with gravel and not the large rocks prominent on the other peaks.  This picture above shows Mt. Lincoln in the distance, which was my next destination.



Mt. Lincoln is probably my favorite peak of all the seven 14ers I've done so far.  It has a fairly small summit area, and it just juts up way into the sky.  It reminded me somewhat of little "sand castles" I used to make as a kid when you let really sandy water run out of your clenched hands and it made little sand spires.  It had larger rocks, and the view was spectacular.  Mt. Quandary is in the picture above, and Grays and Torreys Peaks can be seen far off in the distance.  I believe several other 14ers can be seen in the distance from this summit as well.  While I was up there, a couple of mountain goats came up to see what was going on.


There were less than 10 people on the summit with me.  It was fun to look back at the ant line of people going up Democrat back in the distance where I had been a short time ago.  I don't remember the exact times, but I think I was on top of Lincoln about 3 1/2 hours after I started, so probably about an hour and a half after I had summitted Democrat.


After Lincoln, I backtracked again, headed below and around Cameron, then came up to the saddle up to Mt. Bross, which is in the picture above.  Mt. Bross is unique in that it is private property, and the property owners actually closed access to the peak in 2010.  There have been discussions underway since then to try to get access reopened, but as of last Sunday, Bross was still officially closed.  Officially.  I hung out for a couple minutes at the "Bross is closed" sign until a group of 5 hikers approached.  They read the sign, then one of the hikers apparently was a lawyer who said she could get us off if we got busted up there.  That was good enough for me, so I made friends with them quickly and followed them up the trail to the illegal summit.  I guess there goes my chance of ever running for office, what with a skeleton like this in my closet.



Like Cameron, the top of Bross was very large and very flat.  It offered some great views of the bowl of 14ers I had just hiked that morning, but I didn't go look across off of the other side for fear that the peak po-po were waiting just over the edge.  I got my picture with the "DeCaLiBro" sign that was written on a rock up there, and we all began our descent down the other side of Bross.



I had been warned that this route down was pretty steep and full of scree, and that was definitely true.  It was a very slow crawl down the trail, and my climbing poles came in very handy for stability.  The pictures above show the side of the mountain and how steep it was, and the second picture is the path back down to the trailhead, which can be seen in the distance at the bottom of the valley.  By this time, some storm clouds were starting to move in, so the timing worked out really well to be coming down when we were.  We actually passed a couple hikers who were nearly to the top of Bross who had come up the way we were going down.  They said it took about an hour and a half to get up from the trailhead, and they were planning to do all four 14ers, even with the storms coming in and not having completed one yet.  They either didn't make it or died on the summit of one of them, I'm sure of it.  Very foolish.


After getting past all the steep slopes and scree of Bross, there was some much nicer trail closer to the trailhead.  This waterfall was just part of the beautiful close-up scenery.

In all, the hike took about 6 1/2 hours, was about 7 1/2 miles long and was very strenuous.  Some of the trail up Democrat and down Bross was a little hard to follow at times, but generally could be found if you continued in the direction you knew you should be going.  Not sure I'm eager to do this hike again now that I've done it once, but very glad I was able to get all four 14ers in the loop under my belt.  Gears are already spinning for my next one. :)

For anyone interested, here are the Runkeeper graphs for my hike.  It stopped tracking in the middle for some reason, so there are two halves posted here.


No comments:

Post a Comment